1st & 2nd Fife and Forfar Yeomanry

Discussion in 'RAC & RTR' started by nickc, May 2, 2006.

  1. dr.kmccauley

    dr.kmccauley Junior Member

    Thanks for these images, TheEagle. Could you possibly say when the first group photo was taken? My grandad was also in the 2nd Fife & Fortar Yeomanny Royal Armoured Corps and in North West Europe from June 1944-Jan 1946. I just wondered if the photo was from the same time?
  2. topher46

    topher46 New Member

    hi my father served in the 1st fife and Forfar 1942-1945 before being seconded to intelligence corp and was based in berlin .I have photos of his platoon from Germany 1945 would like to find out what his platoon no was
  3. KevinT

    KevinT Senior Member

    Hi Topher46,

    Is there any chance you could post the photos? If thee are any markings or names shown on tanks etc that might at least narrow it down to which squadron and then work from there.
    Just a thought.


  4. xpressanny

    xpressanny Junior Member

    I've found some photos of my dad in France after the D-Day Landings and on the border of France with Germany. Longing to find out more about my dad's "war". He was a tank driver with 2nd Fife & Forfar Yeomanry RA. I know he was involved in the Battle of the Bulge - Forest at Ardenne. Not sure how to upload the photos. My father's name was Wilfred Weatherly, aka, Bill. I went on to the official war records and they have my dad's name wrongly spelt and with the wrong regiment!!!
    Scan 9.jpg Scan 8.jpg Scan 11.jpg
  5. Drew5233

    Drew5233 #FuturePilot Patron 1940 Obsessive

    Hello and welcome to the forum. I take it you mean the website? We don't really discuss them on here-I'll let you use your powers of detection to figure out why as I wouldn't want to get sued or anything ;)

    Anyway - Have you considered getting his units war diaries covering the time he served with the regiment? If London's to far for you to visit the National Archives and you'd like a copy just drop me a private message :)

  6. Finbar

    Finbar New Member

    I'm wondering if anyone can help me as well. My granddad Sgt Ron Findlay was a sgt instructor at 57 training regiment at Warminster and catterick before being posted to 2FFY on the 13 Feb 44. I'd like to know what and where the regiment was at this time. According to his war record he then is sent to France in 1st July 44 for the fighting in Caen. I have a few photos of 2 FFY at this time, if anyone can help please contact me findlaydw@gmail.com
  7. JulesR

    JulesR New Member

    Hi. I'm a newbie to the forum. I'm trying to find out more about my Grandad's (Gordon Joslin) time in the 1st FFY C Squadron. He joined the 1st FFY in April '43 when he was 18. I have his War records and the War diaries for the 1st FFY but would be really interested to hear any further personal stories/pics from veterans or their families or anyone who may have known him. Unfortunately my grandparents passed away some years ago and there is nobody left who remembers). The family have stories of him being quite ill on his return and would never speak of it or acknowledge his war medals. they heard he was deeply effected by Belsen but the diaries don't show the 1st FFY as having been in Belsen, (although the 2nd FFY were there) so if anyone has any idea where this may have come from I would greatly appreciate any info. (especially as I have seen other forums where people tracing relatives in 1st FFY also heard stories regarding Belsen from them.)

    Kind Regards,
  8. Graham Harper

    Graham Harper New Member


    I have out a request onto a different thread on this forum ands had some useful replies, but I need to follow it up a bit. I am trying to trace some information re my Great uncle, Trooper William Harper who served with the 2nd Fife & Forfars possibly at the fighting round Cheux in late June 1944 where he was wounded when his tank burned (I guess it was a Sherman), he survived (or more correclty lingered) long enough to be returned to the UK, but died on the 5th July. Can anybody point me in the right direction for more information please?
  9. Firefly44

    Firefly44 Researching the F&FY

    Hi Graham

    I have a transcript of the A Squadron 2FFY War Diary for 1944-45 which I obtained from the Bovington Tank Museum. It gives a list of the Sqn tank crews for the 26th of June at the start of Operation Epsom, which includes a Tpr Harper who I assume was your Great Uncle William. He was in 4 Troop which was commanded by Lt Steele Brownlie and he was a member of Sgt Dick Greenfield's tank crew.

    4 Troop

    2 Lt.Brownlie
    Tpr Dew
    Tpr Buchanan
    Tpr Fisher
    Tpr McKinnon

    Sgt Greenfield
    Tpr Martin
    Tpr Harper
    Tpr Sykes H
    Tpr Thomson S

    Cpl Croney
    Tpr Cross
    Tpr Collins
    Tpr Nicholls

    As Cpl Croney’s tank only had a 4 man crew it must have been the troop’s 17 pounder armed Sherman Firefly. There had originally been another tank in Lt Brownlie’s troop to make up a standard 4 tank troop, however it had been fitted with a dozer blade shortly before the start of ‘Epsom’ and was attached to A Sqn HQ troop as the Regimental bulldozer. It’s crew was:-

    Sgt Litster
    Tpr Vallance
    Tpr Barlow
    Tpr McDonald
    Tpr King

    There’s a photo of Sgt Litster and his crew with their dozer tank along with one of the Regiments Crusader AA tanks on the IWM website here:-


    These are the diary entries for 26th and 27th of June which list the Sqn casualties for these two days. It lists your Great Uncle as being killed (died of wounds) on the 27th. War diaries were usually written a few days after the event so it probably lists when he was fatally wounded rather than when he actually died on the 5th July. Two other of your uncle's crew mates were killed as well; Stan Thomson and Harold Sykes although for some reason the CWGC lists them as having been killed on the 26th. They are both commemorated on the Bayeux Memorial so their bodies must never have been found. Dick Greenfield and Ian Martin were both wounded and never re-joined the Regiment

    26th June:
    The Regiment moved out at 0700 hrs, - order of march B, A, C, - amidst a thundering barrage in support of 15 'S' who were by now across their start line. There were several halts, but later it was learnt that the infantry had reached their first objectives. B Sqn reported that they were under shellfire when near the Caen-Tilly road. The Sqn was then ordered over to the right of B Sqn as there was a threat of enemy counter-attack from the west. Various targets were seen and engaged without any conclusion and the attack did not materialise.
    In the late afternoon C Sqn were ordered into Cheux with orders to work west. They encountered severe opposition in the orchards on the west of the village. A Sqn went forward in support of them and worked round the north side of the village in a south westerly direction towards Haut du Bosq. By this time heavy rain had come on and visibility was poor. Lt Hall with 3 Tp were leading and towards last light ran into some enemy tanks in the close bocage. The two leading tanks (Sgt Simpson and Cpl Scott) were both destroyed and the remainder of the Tp were forced to withdraw. Six men were reported missing and 4 wounded (drivers and co-drivers). After dark the Sqn were ordered back into a regimental leaguer in the fields north of Cheux. A very unpleasant night with heavy rain.

    27th June:
    'A' Sqn were to lead the regiment, who were to pass through the 15 'S' after an attack supported by a squadron from 31 Tank Brigade had secured the high ground south of Cheux. Leaguer was broken before first light and at first light 'A' Sqn passed through Cheux. This was not made easy, as there were traffic jams all the way and the village was littered with collapsed houses and debris. The Sqn deployed on the high ground. The infantry attack was not a success and heavy casualties were sustained near the start point. The Churchill Sqn had several tanks brewed up in the orchards to the south west and later withdrew. The Sqn were then ordered to turn half right in support of the attack. Opposition from guns and Panthers were soon encountered. 1 Tp. on the right soon had one tank brewed up and another damaged. 4 Tp. were ordered up on their right. Lt Brownlie’s tank had a stoppage and Sgt Greenfield took over and led the advance himself right up to where the Panthers were positioned and at very close range destroyed one and damaged another. His gun then became damaged, however he continued to engage the remaining enemy tanks with his 0·5 and hand grenades until he too was brewed up.
    Meanwhile 2 Tp, on the left, had worked slowly forward into the gun area and had destroyed several 10·5 and A/T guns. This was largely due to Sgt Wann’s initiative and boldness. During this time 'B' Sqn had come up on the right and later 'C' Sqn on the left. The regiment were now dominating the low ground from which the Panthers had been fighting and the latter were forced to withdraw.
    The Sqn pulled out for a short time to replenish and later took over from 'C' Sqn who had got forward into the high ground overlooking Granville-sur-Odon. The rest of the day was spent in this area, though a Troop was worked forward onto the railway near Granville.
    As there was difficulty in getting the rest of the regiment forward to leaguer, the Sqn returned for the night to where they had spent most of the morning. A echelon replenished and certain reinforcements arrived. Lt Hotblack rejoined the Sqn. During the last two days he had acted as LO with various Bns of 15 'S' and he had many an exciting moment particularly during the fighting in Cheux on the first day.



    Sgt Simpson (missing presumed killed)
    Cpl Scott (missing presumed killed)
    Tpr Edwards F (missing presumed killed)
    Tpr Gray (missing presumed killed)
    Tpr Hardwick (missing presumed killed)
    Tpr Parsons (missing presumed killed)


    Tpr Armit
    Tpr Harkins
    Tpr Oliver
    Tpr Taylor H


    L/Sgt Hepburn
    Tpr Dow (d.o.w.)
    Tpr Harper (d.o.w.)
    Tpr Hoddinott (d.o.w.)
    Tpr Johnson R
    Tpr Sykes
    Tpr Thomson S
    Tpr Warbey


    Sgt Greenfield
    L/Cpl Martin I

    Steele Brownlie wrote a great unpublished account of his wartime experiences. A transcript of is this also available from the Tank Museum. I’ll try and post his accounts for the 26th and 27th from it when I get a chance.

    Hope this helps with your research
  10. Firefly44

    Firefly44 Researching the F&FY

    Steele Brownlie's account of the first two days of Epsom. He mentions your Uncle dying in hospital of his wounds.


    The plan was to push down the west side of Caen, but how much I knew of the “big picture” at the time I’m not sure. At dawn, in a steady drizzle that soaked everyone to the skin, we motored through the gun area, where hundreds of artillery pieces were firing in support of 15 Scottish Division. Then we went through gaps in the minefields, and past German trenches, empty except for bodies. A few shells dropped close. Then came the time to spread out, and to fill up from the spare petrol cans on the back of the tanks. There was an hour’s wait, and we moved forward: C Sqn leading, B Sqn left, A Sqn right. First stop the Odon ‑ maybe.

    We had gone about 300 yards when two armour‑piercing shots came from the high ground on the right, sending up showers of earth and killing two infantrymen. I wheeled the troop right, and saw the turrets of three German tanks nicely positioned hull-down, about 1800 yards. AP was no use at that range, so I did an HE shoot on them. They brewed up a half-track nearby (you could see their solid shot whirling down in our general direction), but after a few minutes they withdrew. Encouraging! They had a whole squadron to fire at, sitting in the open fields, and hit none of them. We resumed the advance, but my sergeant, Dick Greenfield, was left behind with engine trouble.

    The Regiment formed up 1000 yds short of Cheux alongside a regiment of Churchills, and an assault was made on the village. C Sqn went straight in. We went left, but were stopped by tank ditches and sunken lanes, so were switched to the right. Don Hall took his troop round the edge of a wood, myself following. Two of his tanks went up in flames, and he came roaring back, laying smoke. I took cover, but could not see anything to fire at, because of the trees and smoke from the burning tanks. Two APs came just over my head, so I too laid smoke and got out.

    As I was turning, two survivors from Don’s tanks came running back, burnt and their clothes smouldering. For an hour, I shot at long-range targets, and was shot at, but could see no certain hits and sustained none. Then, in the dark, it was a matter of finding the Squadron harbour, blundering about by the light of flaming wrecks and getting mixed up with other units. It took an hour or so, and then there was the business (which later became familiar) of reorganising the Troop, taking on fuel, ammunition, rations from Echelon trucks, reporting mechanical defects and seeing them dealt with by the fitters, attending an O-Group to get orders for next day, folding and marking maps, ensuring that a member of the crew was cooking and another arranging the bedding, sometimes fitting in a wash or a visit to a hedge outside the harbour, with a shovel and a supply of Army Form Blank, which was issued on the scale of two-and-a-half sheets per man per day.

    What time would it be, after all that lot? Depending on snags, it might be one, two or three in the morning, and orders were to be ready to move at when? Dawn? But that meant getting started early enough to stow the bedding, have some kind of breakfast, maybe have a shave, sometimes net the wireless sets, start up the engines. Then you were ready to move. Here was the big snag ‑ how long had you slept? In the mobile fighting of WW2, especially in the summer months, tiredness was the daily ration. The chance of a good sleep was at least as attractive as that of a sit-down meal or a bath.

    In the harbour I found Sgt Greenfield, who had got his tank going and motored straight into Cheux, where C Sqn had penetrated and been surrounded, losing three or four tanks. He had joined in the battle, especially with the 0.5mm Browning machine gun mounted on top of his turret, a weapon that he particularly liked. Later we threw ours away, because they got tangled with tree branches, as in the Normandy orchards, and because you had to stand high out of the turret to fire them. It was safer to keep your eyes just above the cupola ring and direct fire from the guns in the turret and the hull. We learned as we went along.

    That night, after our first day in action, I don’t think that anyone slept. The petrol and ammo took three hours to reach us, the enemy were only a few hundred yards away, and everybody was shattered by the day’s events. Long afterwards you thought about Cheux as just about the worst, and anything else seemed an improvement. You also thought about Cully, a tiny hamlet, as a sort of haven of peace.

    At dawn we moved again to the east of the village, where the infantry had made progress during the night, and some of the anti­tank ditches bridged. Churchill tanks were to take the woods SE of Cheux, when we would pass through and take the ground beyond. There was great confusion while their attack went in, and four Panthers came into the village, scattering the infantry and getting to within 200 yards of us before being knocked out. I saw the commander of one of them blown out of his turret, twenty feet in the air, in the middle of a huge smoke ring.

    The Churchill attack got nowhere, and we took over. We were to advance up a slope, over the skyline, and then down into the woods beyond, where the enemy positions were. We had two troops up, Freddie Craig on the right, and myself behind him. As he topped the ridge, three of his tanks were brewed, and his took cover in a slight hollow. I had to take his place, so kept going.

    We advanced in the prescribed manner, Troop Sergeant leading, and the Firefly in rear. The latter had the only effective anti-tank gun in our troops, the 17 Pdr, while the rest of us had the 75 mm, which was great for firing HE shells, but not sufficient muzzle velocity for AP shot. The Fireflies had become available not long before D-Day, and I had motored two or three hundred miles to collect mine. Now it was in action, ready to take on “hard” targets, when summoned. The trouble was that the Corporal commanding it did not intend to be summoned, and would not even keep up, but lagged behind in spite of my orders over the air.

    Sgt Greenfield topped the ridge safely, and was going flat out down the slope, when I saw a Panther emerging from the woods on his left, and firing at him. On top of the ridge, I was ranging on the Panther, and trying to get Sgt Greenfield on the air to warn him, when everything went wrong. A shell jammed in my breech, and all my electrics went dead. There was no radio, intercom, engine, and power traverse. Immobile on the skyline, all I could do was to fire MG, manually, at the Panther. Its gun traversed towards me, my .300 inch bullets bouncing off it, when suddenly it turned and disappeared into the wood. It was an incredible let‑off. Dick Greenfield was not so lucky. He had gone on, alone and unsupported, and was brewed up. Thomson and Sykes were killed, Harper died in hospital, he and Ian Martin were burned and never rejoined.

    The Squadron passed on, and I had some clearing up to do. Jumping down on to the grass, the first thing I saw was a complete leg, in a boot and a gaiter, and a bit of battledress trouser with quite a good crease in it. Nearby was one of Freddie Craig’s tanks, not fully burnt out, and Cpl Sangster crouching underneath it. He and I got his tank moving, and arranged for it to tow mine back off the ridge. While the towrope was being shackled, I crawled around looking for Sgt Hepburn, whom I had seen struggling out of his burning tank, with both legs blown off. I found no trace of him.

    Cpl Sangster’s tank towed mine back to the village, with numerous halts as we picked up wounded infantrymen who were lying in the fields. We stopped near the village, and set to work trying to repair the fault in my tank. It turned out to be a damaged Master Switch.

    We were heavily mortared, and at one point dived under the tank for shelter. We were astonished to see Padre Oswald Welsh walking towards us, in the open, and my driver, Jock McKinnon, poked his head out and shouted: “For fuck’s sake, Padre, come in oot o’ there.” Oswald replied: “Now, McKinnon, watch your language.” And, pointing to his dog‑collar: “I’m a non-combatant.” He walked on. I recounted this to him many years later, not long before he died, and his response was that he never really knew what was going on. The truth was, I believe, that he simply did not care what was going on (mortars or anything else), but just went about doing his job.

    My tank was repaired by the fitters, and I moved to a more sheltered spot. I was told to wait till the Squadron came back to refuel, and meantime I made contact with the Echelon, which had moved up. Wanting to restock with ammunition, I tried to find the Squadron Sergeant-Major, who attended to such matters. Walking along the village street, rounded a bend and found myself face to face with a Panther squatting in the middle of the road, so withdrew hastily.

    The Squadron came back and replenished, I reassembled what was left of my troop, and was told to lead the way up to the railway by Grainville. We crossed it unopposed 300 yards from the village. This was a commanding position, and I did an HE shoot on some camouflaged vehicles 3500 yards ahead. Don Hall and I sat in the shelter of smoke from a burning house, and watched Kenneth Mathewson’s Recce Troop go into the village to see if it was clear, which it wasn’t. He lost a tank, but no men, to a Panther sitting in or beside the church. As he was belting back past us, having done his job, Colonel Scott came on the air and asked him for his exact position. He replied: “Position be buggered, wait, out.”

    The Churchills appeared again, and with infantry went into Grainville, while we supported by fire. They met strong opposition and were repulsed. Dozens of wounded were dragged back to where we were sitting, and some lay in the shelter of my tank until Jeeps took them back. I still see one infantryman, both legs blown off, lying with his head pillowed on a groundsheet and puffing at a cigarette. I doubt if he made it.

    At dusk the infantry dug in, and we withdrew to harbour, finding our way through woods and little fields bounded by deep ditches and high banks. This was the Bocage.

    That was 27 June. In the morning, John Powell reorganised the Squadron, and I was made LOB ‑ Left Out of Battle ‑ and stayed in Cheux, which was still being mortared. I was then given the job of taking back all damaged vehicles that could move, to Rear Echelon at Norray-en-Bessin, near Bretteville. This area was being shelled by 88 mms from Carpiquet, so I dug in well before collapsing off to sleep.
    Juha likes this.
  11. Firefly44

    Firefly44 Researching the F&FY

    Below are the make-ups of the A Sqn tank crews on the 26th June and 18th of July 1944 which might be useful to anyone trying to trace relatives who served with the 2nd F&FY. I think the crew order is: Commander, Loader/Radio Operator, Gunner, Co-Driver/Hull Gunner and Driver. Obviously in the 4 man crewed Fireflys the Co-Driver/Hull Gunner was omitted.

    A Sqn 2FFY Tank Crews - 26th June 1944

    HQ.F. Major Powell Capt Hutchison Cpl Baxter Sgt Litster
    Sgt Mathers Tpr Perry Tpr Parry Tpr Vallance
    Tpr Gervis Tpr Bennion Tpr Braithwaite Tpr Barlow
    Tpr McLeod Tpr Dines Tpr Tunnicliffe Tpr McDonald
    Tpr Dewar L/Cpl Gourlay Tpr Aitken Tpr King

    1 Tp Lt Craig L/Sgt Hepburn Cpl Sangster L/Sgt Watson
    Tpr Ballard Tpr Dow Tpr Marsh Tpr Clark A
    Cpl Ashton Tpr Hoddinott Tpr Grant L/Cpl Coleman
    Tpr Bishop Tpr Warbey Tpr Hitchen Tpr Yendall
    Tpr Smith T Tpr Johnson R Tpr Smith R

    2 Tp 2 Lt Thomson Sgt Wann Cpl Smith Cpl Burns
    L/Cpl Truslove Tpr Haddock Tpr Briggs Tpr Pinnington
    Tpr Belsham Tpr Hayes N Tpr Marshall Tpr Ballantine
    Tpr Shearer Tpr Quilliam Tpr Howells Tpr Brown J
    Tpr Sedgebeer Tpr Welch Tpr Henderson

    3 Tp Lt Hall Sgt Simpson Cpl Scott L/Cpl Bush
    L/Cpl Laycock Tpr Parsons Tpr Gray J Tpr McKiver
    Tpr Selley Tpr Hardwick Tpr Edwards Tpr Boyne
    Tpr Turner Tpr Harkins Tpr Taylor L/Cpl Finlay
    Tpr McGillivray Tpr Oliver Tpr Armit

    4 Tp 2 Lt.Brownlie Sgt Greenfield Cpl Croney
    Tpr Dew Tpr Martin Tpr Cross
    Tpr Buchanan Tpr Harper Tpr Collins
    Tpr Fisher Tpr Sykes H Tpr Nicholls
    Tpr McKinnon Tpr Thomson S

    A Sqn 2FFY Tank Crews for 18th July 1944

    HQ.F. Major Powell Capt Hutchison Cpl Baxter Cpl Ashton
    Sgt Mathers Tpr Perry Tpr Party Tpr Vallance
    Tpr Gervis Tpr Bennion Tpr Braithwaite Tpr Barlow
    Tpr Baxter Tpr Dines Tpr Tunnicliffe Tpr McDonald
    Tpr Dewar L/Cpl Gourlay Tpr Aitken Tpr King

    1 Tp Lt Forbes Cpl Newman Cpl Sangster L/Sgt Watson
    Tpr McKenzie Tpr Hobson Tpr Marsh Tpr Clark A
    Tpr Shearer Tpr Knowles Tpr Grant L/Cpl Coleman
    Tpr Bishop Tpr Young Tpr Hitchen Tpr Yendall
    Tpr Smith T Tpr Lane Tpr Helsby

    2 Tp Cpl Truslove Sgt Wann Cpl Smith Cpl Ives
    Tpr Haddock Tpr Hunter Tpr Briggs Tpr Pinnington
    Tpr Belsham Tpr Hayes N Tpr Beardwell Tpr Ballantine
    Tpr York Tpr Marshall C Tpr Quilliam Tpr Brown J
    Tpr Sedgebeer Tpr Renshaw Tpr Allen J

    3 Tp Lt Spittal Sgt Lumsden L/Cpl Bush
    L/Cpl Laycock Tpr Hobson Tpr Hutchings
    Tpr Selley Tpr Brown Tpr McKiver
    Tpr Fitchett Tpr Simpson Cpl Finlay
    Tpr McGillivray Tpr Marris

    4 Tp 2/Lt Brownlie Sgt.Litster Cpl Evans Cpl Croney
    Tpr Ingram Tpr Dew Tpr Boyne Tpr Cross
    Tpr Buchanan Tpr Eamer Tpr Hollands Tpr Collins
    Tpr Fisher Tpr Nursey Tpr Esseen Tpr Nicholls
    Tpr McKinnon Tpr Walker Tpr Skelton
    Juha, Drew5233 and stolpi like this.
  12. KevinT

    KevinT Senior Member

    Some RHQ and A Sqn tank names used by 2nd Fife and Forfar


    BEN ADLER - Sherman V
    St ANDREW - Comet
    St DAVID - Comet
    St GEORGE - Comet
    St PATRICK - Comet

    A Sqn

    HARRIS - Sherman V
    PLEIDES - Comet

    I have others but unsure of Sqn.


  13. Graham Harper

    Graham Harper New Member

    Wow! Thanks again to Firefly44 for this information. You have answered so many questions, my father died knowing nothing about his Uncle. Now I can pass this information on to Trooper William's Great Great Nephew, my son to ensure that his memory and that of Gunner William Gray who also died in battle, but in 1918 Flanders will always be remembered.

  14. ChrisOgg9434

    ChrisOgg9434 New Member

    Hi Guys,

    As a retired soldier myself and following the loss of my grandmother I am interested in finding out information about my late Grandfather who served in the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry. He survived the war but was unfortunately taken in 1985 with ill health. He hailed from Valleyfield in Dunfermline but moved to Townhill. His name was Alex Penman or Big Ech! He was 20 in 1939. I will of course apply for his service records and see if that can unearth anything. Is there anything worth reviewing at the unit museum in Cupar? The family did own a book that was written about their experiences but sadly it succumbed to damage. I do also recall someone who he served with intended on writing his own memoirs (he spoke with my late grandmother) but I am not sure if that was ever finished.

    It is even more poignant knowing that many veterans are at the twighlight of their years and it would be good to unearth something positive and extrordinary. I would be grateful if anyone could spare the time to offer some insight or assisstance.

    Kind regards

    Chris Ogg, late WO1 (RSM) late R SIGNALS
  15. Firefly44

    Firefly44 Researching the F&FY

    There are interviews with various members of both regiments of the F&FY available online at the IWM sound archive. One of them, Geoff Hayward who served with HQ and B Sqn of the 2FFY mentions being co-driver alongside an Alex Penman in a Sherman commanded Lt John Darke for a short time. B Sqn of the 2nd Regt. was formed in Dunfermline in May 1939 so I assume this is your grandfather as Geoff mentions Alex as being an original member.


    Geoff interview is here


    Geoff is still on the go and into his 90's. I believe he has written up his wartime memoirs so it might have been him that spoke with your grandmother. I think Yeomanry House in Cupar may have a copy.

  16. Catherinelawlor

    Catherinelawlor New Member

    Hi, I am also new to this site, found all the information on the previous post's very helpful.

    I am researching and trying to trace my Grandfather Thomas Lawlor's service history. Unfortunately i do not have his service number. All i know he was in the 1st fife and forfar - "C" Sqn. between (Approx) 1940-1945. He was based in Scotland and he was also over in Diepholz and Dusseldorf both Germany but unsure of his service history or the battles that took place and he was involved in. I also know he played for the C sqn football team. I do have a picture of this team and a magazine article that was printed in a magazine. I will post if anyone is interested.

    If anyone could assist with any information i would be most grateful.

  17. Drew5233

    Drew5233 #FuturePilot Patron 1940 Obsessive

    Hi Catherine and welcome - Have you considered applying for a copy of his service records?

  18. Catherinelawlor

    Catherinelawlor New Member

    Hi Andy,

    Many thanks.

    Yes I applied back in March via the MOD and sent the form to Scotland. I did get a phone call about 2 weeks later asking if my granddad was still with us, unfortunately not. But i have heard nothing since, unfortunately i don't know how to proceed as i didn't have a reference number when i sent the form.

  19. Drew5233

    Drew5233 #FuturePilot Patron 1940 Obsessive

    Have they cashed the cheq you sent ? Records normally take around the 6 month mark to arrive so you shouldn't be far of receiving them.

  20. jonnyish

    jonnyish New Member


    I have read the forum with a great deal of interest as we are just starting to try and discover more about our Uncle's service in WWII. Unfortunately he has never wanted to talk about his experiences but we do know he served with 2nd Fife & Forfar Yeomanry from Normandy through to the end of the war.

    His name is Bernard Benton, serial number 7960822. Any advice or information anyone has would be greatly appreciated.



Share This Page