Looking for help! 23rd Hussars

Discussion in 'RAC & RTR' started by Len Deans, Jun 19, 2011.

  1. grimmy

    grimmy Guest

    Hi Mike,

    I'm sure we'll soon get the hang of things. I'm very impressed with all the stuff on here.

    Dad has only just started to talk about his experiences with the 23rd Hussars, so I need to get it all recorded. I'd no idea until recently just what he (and they) went through.
  2. grimmy

    grimmy Guest


    The following extracts are from The Story of the 23rd Hussars 1940-1946, (various authors, published 1946 in Germany).

    Page 92
    'B' Squadron advanced into the village of Presles without incident, but on the other side they spotted two self-propelled guns and, having knocked one out, saw the crew abandon the other. While this was going on Regimental Headquarters halted on the cross-roads at Point 218 with 'A' Squadron behind them. Major Blacker then had occasion to walk over the cross-roads to remonstrate with our Medium OP officer, who was briskly firing his tank gun at the Fife and Forfar, visible in the distance on our right. Having explained his error to him Major Blacker was returning to his tank, when, while in the middle of the cross-roads, he happened to glance in the direction of Estry. It was well he did, for only one hundred yards away was a Panther, advancing down the main road towards him. Fortunately the Panther did not react quickley. Equally fortunately the tanks of RHQ were protected from it by a bank, which, however, was too high to allow their guns to bear on it. A good deal of confused firing on both sides then ensued, the Panther letting off an armour-piercing and a high explosive shell and a burst of machine-gun fire in quick succession. It succeded only in knocking a telegraph pole down over Sergeant Roberts' 17 pounder which had been sent to the rescue. This stalemate was broken by Lieut. Payne's troop, which assaulted the Panther in flank and destroyed it. One or two of its friends were lurking fairly close, but withdrew without damage to themselves. RHQ was then relieved to find that 'B' Squadron had moved on through Presles and that it was possible to hand over this rather too eventful spot to someone else.

    With Panthers liable to arrive so unexpectedly, it was thought better to push 'A' Squadron out as a left flank guard, and they continued parallel to the main axis down a very narrow track, without their company of RBs. 'B' Squadron was still pushing on and had reached Bas Perrier when sounds of battle were audible from 'A' Squadron, who at that time were a mile away to the left. They had at last managed to quit their narrow track and spread out in a field.

    At the other end of the field, playing the 'lying-in-wait' game which was the delight of the German tank man, lay hidden a number of Panthers. At close range, and with well distributed fire, they all opened up at once with deadly effect. All but four of the 'A' Squadron tanks were hit and blazing within a matter of minutes, and the remaining four fought their way back to cover, destroying three Panthers as they did so. Major Watt's tank was one of to be hit and the crew 'baled out', comparatively unhurt. Seeing the plight of his squadron and realising that he could not control the battle without using a wireless, Major Watt ran back to his tank which was not yet on fire, but which he well knew to be in full view of the enemy. When he jumped onto the turret to seize the microphone, a Panther opened up on him at point blank range and Major Watt fell, badly wounded. Corporal Harris, his driver, rushed forward and pulled him to safety, though under very heavy fire all the time. Having done this, Corporal Harris went forward alone with a Sten gun to asault the enemy infantry, which were threatening to advance upon them. Major Watt refused all medical treatment until the other wounded could be attended to and kept trying to resume command although his wounds made this quite impossible. The baled-out crews ran about under heavy fire helping the wounded. Captain Taylor had in the meantime, with great coolness and courage, reorganised the survivors. The Recce Troop were sent across to evacuate the wounded and after a brisk battle, which cost them one man killed, they fought their way back down 'A' Squadron's route, which by now had been cut by some very aggressive Panzer Grenadiers. When he was satisfied that all possible survivors had been evacuated and that there was nothing more that could be done Captain Taylor brought the remnants of the Squadron across to the main route and joined the rest of the Regiment.

    Page 94
    .......the news of the 'A' Squadron disaster began to come in. The first reaction was to try and send another squadron across to their rescue, but the country was so impossibly thick that it could not be done. When Captain Taylor rejoined with his remaining four tanks, we began to realise that Chenedolle was not going to be very easy either. The though uppermost in most people's minds was that we had a completely open flank for four miles, and only too obviously there was a strong force of German armour placed in an ideal position to assault it.

    ......so it was decided to withdraw from Chenedolle and take up a firm position for the night on a piece of high ground above the little village of Le Bas Perrier, about a mile short of the farthest point 'B' Squadron had reached during the day. The night passed quietly, and August 3rd dawned with the promise of a really hot summer's day. And hot it proved eventually to be, though not altogeher in the way we expected.

    Some brave deeds were done that day.

    Here is Lt. Bishop's personal recollection, taken from his book The Battle: A Tank Officer Remembers (published privately, not dated). Bishop was a troop leader in 'C' Squadron by this time:

    Page 72
    About mid-day, we reach an important objective, a main arterial road, and a lot of excitement takes place when our H.Q. gets quite close to a German Panther Tank. Monkey Blacker tries to get a shot at it, but it goes off to our left and disappears. At this point the Colonel orders "A" Squadron to move off also to the left and follow a secondary road parallel to a centre line in the general direction of our advance. The rest of the Regiment cross the main arterial road and move on towards our final objective. A few prisoners are taken at the cross-roads and after going on for about a mile, we approach the villaige of Pressels [sic], which seems to have been abandoned by the Germans and see in front of us the high ground which we are to take.
    News now starts to come in from "A" Squadron who have been silent until now, and they appear to have run into an enemy Troop and they are being engaged at short range by German Armour. It sounds absolutely appalling, half their tanks have been hit and are on fire, the Squadron Leader has been badly wounded, two troops are missing and it seems as though the whole Squadron is going to be annihilated.

    Geoffrey Taylor is trying to get things under control and withdraw the remains of the Squadron... They are out of sight of our position and there are a great many wounded. The Colonel orders them to rejoin us as soon as they can.....Just before darkness, the remnants of "A" Squadron join us and we all leaguer in close formation in one field.

    The next four days were, according to Bishop (and my Dad), his worst experience of the war. The Hussars were cut off, surrounded on three sides and shelled continually on top of the ridge. Towards the end there was only 'C' Squadron, a troop from 'B' and the infantry of the 2nd Warwicks to defend the high ground.

    Hope this helps, Len. If the Guards hadn't been delayed they would have been protecting the left flank and possibly none of the above would have happened. Who knows?

    Incidentally, The Story has the Roll of Honour at the back of the book - it lists Tpr D. Deans under those killed on August 2nd.
  3. grimmy

    grimmy Guest

  4. dryan67

    dryan67 Senior Member

    Here is a summary history of the 23rd Hussars:

    23rd Hussars

    1 December 1940 at Teddesley Hall, Penkridge
    Raising Regiments
    10th Royal Hussars (Prince of Wale’s Own)
    15th/19th The King’s Hussars
    Battle Honours
    The Odon, Bourguebus Ridge, Le Perier Ridge, Amiens 1944, Antwerp, Venraij, Venlo Pocket, The Ourthe, North-West Europe 1944-45

    Western Command – 1 December 1940 to 30 December 1940
    The regiment was raised on December 1st, 1940 by 8 officers and 50 NCOs and men from the 10th Hussars and the 15th/19th Hussars plus recruits at Teddesley Hall, Penkridge at near Stafford. The officers and men arrived by December 7th and an additional intake of men was added on December 18th.

    30th Armoured Brigade – 30 December 1940 to 8 January 1941
    Training began on December 30th. At that time, the 23rd had only some Ross and a few Enfield rifles, a few .303 Besa Machine-Guns, some Bren LMGs, two “impressed” vehicles, one delivery van, and one medium tank that could not move.

    29th Armoured Brigade – 8 January 1941 to 31 August 1945
    Since the brigade HQ was to be formed at the end of January at Penkridge, the regiment moved to the 29th Armoured Brigade. The 24th Lancers were ten miles away at Cannock. On March 4th and 5th, the regiment moved to Knaresborough, Yorkshire and took over from the 43rd Royal Tank Regiment. The first tank, a Valentine Mk II, arrived on the day before the move. By the end of March 1941 it had three tanks, two Mk III Valentines and one Mk II Valentine, five personnel carriers, 12 motorcycles, 15 “utility” cars, two 3-tonners, 6 15-CWT trucks, one officer truck, and two impressed vehicles. The next five months were occupied with training.
    On June 14th, 1941 the regiment moved to Nawton Camp near Helmsley and then to Whitby on August 14th, 1941. The quantity of equipment increased during this time as well. By August 1941, it had acquired no less than 28 Valentines of various makes. On arrival at Whitby on August 14th, the regiment did squadron camps in Yorkshire and then moved from squadron camps to a regimental camp at Commondale on September 1st. The first brigade scheme took place from September 15th to 17th entitled Exercise Chris. Afterwards the regiment visited Fylingdale for gun trails from September 30th to October 2nd. During Exercise Percy on October 9th, the regiment was almost complete in Valetines and Matildas. The regiment then made a brief move to Northumberland around Hadrian’s Wall before returning to Whitby on October 16th. Individual training started on October 22nd and continued through the winter. The 23rd spent November 26th to December 5th at the Castlemartin Ranges. Soon after the first consignment of Mk IV Valentines arrived along with Mk VIB AA tanks. It did squadron camps in March 1942 and on the 31st it was announced that it would be moving shortly to Southeast Command.
    Between April 25th and 26th, the regiment moved to Plumpton, Sussex with HQ Squadron on the racecourse and the three sabre squadrons billeted in the area. It began squadron training on the Downs and then the regiment moved to Kent for Exercise Tiger. On return from the exercise, it disposed of its Valentines and Matildas and re-equipped with Covenanters and Crusaders. From August 1st to 4th, 1942, it did trial firing of the new tanks at Seaford Ranges. After it was involved in Exercise Black Bull from August 6th to 7th. It moved to Rushford Belts near Thetford, Norfolk on August 10th, 1942. It was ordered to mobilise on August 16th and visited Linney Head on the 20th before returning to Thetford. On return it received reinforcements but did not end up departing for North Africa. Instead, it moved into winter quarters on October 17th at Chippenham Camp, near Newmarket. It visited Castlemartin Ranges from December 24th to January 3rd, 1943. It was warned to be ready to move soon and the tanks were sent off for transit to North Africa on February 5th, but the move was once again cancelled. The tanks returned back to Chippenham on February 10th. The regiment was relatively idle since there were no training tanks and the regular tanks were over the recommended mileage. The regiment was reorganised in March into squadrons of five troops with four tanks at Squadron HQ. In the spring, it moved to the Stanford Battle Area for a week brigade training on May 1st then it was involved in Exercise Sabre from May 16th to 20th. After the exercise, the regiment received its first Shermans, which were to replace the Crusaders. The 23rd moved to Bridlington, Yorkshire and the Shermans continued to arrive. For a time the squadrons had a double allotment of Shermans and Crusaders before the latter were sent off. Exercise Eagle took place next on July 7th and was followed by a regimental camp at Butterwick on the Yorkshire Wolds. VIII Corps’ Exercise Hawk followed on July 22nd and gun exercises at Hornsea Ranges, Spaunton Moor and Riccall Bridge.
    During August and September a plethora of vehicles arrived. The regiment was involved in Exercise Blackcock from September 24th to October 3rd and at the ranges in Kircudbrightshire on October 24th. Also from September until it moved to Aldershot, the 23rd visited the ranges at Fylingdale and Hornsea. At the start of the New Year, it received 17-pounder Shermans. The Reconnaissance Troop took on Stuarts after having first having carriers and then Crusaders. New AA Crusaders arrived but these were given up after the battle of Caen. On March 31st. 1944 the main party left for Aldershot. The equipment was sent to the embarkation ports on June 8th and the regiment moved to Gosport on the 11th. The advance party left for France on June 13th.
    The regiment landed in France on June 15th, 1944 and by the 17th it had concentrated at Coulombs in Normandy. From June 26th to 30th, the 23rd was involved into the crossing of the Odon and in the Battle of Point 112. The 11th Armoured Division concentrated in the area of Cully on June 26th. The plan was for the brigade to advance with the 2nd Fife and Forfar Yeomanry on the left, the 23rd Hussars on the right and the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment in reserve. The regiment had ‘H’ Company 8th Rifle Brigade and ‘G’ Battery 13th Royal Horse Artillery as part of its regimental group. The advance began on June 26th to Cheux and the attack ended on June 30th when it returned from Hill 112 to Putot-en-Bessin. It was then involved in the Battle of Caen from July 1st to 22nd. On July 2nd, it moved to Rauray and then to Cully on the 15th for a day’s rest, but it then was back in the line waiting for action. The attack on Caen began on July 16th with the division moving across the Orne and reaching its forming-up point the next day. It went into battle on the 18th and was heavily engaged (held up). On the 20th, the 7th Armoured Division took over and the regiment moved to Demouville. On the 22nd it was to refit at St. Germain.
    The 23rd was then involved at Le Beny Bocage, Chenedolle, and Le Bas Perrier from July 22nd to August 7th. After one week refitting at St. Germain, whre the AA Troop was disbanded and the Recce Troop was down to three tanks, it receive reinforcements from the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars. It left on July 29th to an area south of Balleray and north of Caumont. Its next operation began on July 30th. It was to advance to Le Beny Bocage with the regiment of the left and the 2nd Fife and Forfar Yeomanry on the right with the 3rd Monmouthshires attached. Le Beny Bocage was captured on August 1st, followed by Chenedolle and then Le Bas Perrier by August 6th. The regiment then assembled at La Barbiere. From August 6th to 22nd it operated in the Falaise Gap. First it received reinforcements from the disbanded 24th Lancers and reorganised. It left La Barbiere on August 12th and the next day organised with ‘G’ Company 8th Rifle Brigade under ‘A’ Squadron, ‘F’ Company under ‘B’, and ‘H’ Company under ‘C’. It advanced to Vassy then Canteloupe. It then operated along the Falaise-Argenten Road reaching Laigle by August 22nd and ending the push through the Falaise Gap.
    The 23rd next advanced from the Seine to Antwerp from August 28th to September 5th. It left Laigle on August 28th and concentrated in an area near the Seine. It then advanced through the following towns: Laigle, Evreux, Vernon (across the Seine), Gournay, Cierecour-Le-Grand, Conty, Dury, Amiens, Mandicourt, Lievein, Lens, Carrin, Tournai, Renaix, Ninone, Wolverthem, Maliens, Contich, and finally Antwerp on September 4th.
    On September 6th, two troops of ‘A’ Squadron supported crossing the canal in Merxem. The 11th Armoured Division left Antwerp on September 8th and advanced into Holland. The regiment crossed the Albert Canal on the 9th at Beeringen and moved to Heusden. Then with all the companies of the 8th Rifle Brigade attached, it moved through the 2nd Fife and Forfar Yeomanry at Helchteren and reached Petit Brogel by the 10th. It remained there from September 11th to 20th to rest, except for two days at Grand Brogel. It moved off again on September 20th through Leende, Marteeze and Geldrop. It reached De Rips on September 25th, where it remained for the next three weeks patrolling and resting.
    On October 15th, the regiment was ready for a drive toward Venry. It moved to Leuren on the 19th and remained there for a fortnight, while one third of the regiment rotated back to Helmond for rest. On November 2nd, the regiment advanced again from Usselsteijn to clear the Maas Pocket, operating there through the 28th. It then moved to Deurne with orders to re-equip with new Comet Tanks. It left on December 10th and, after four days at Geldrop, it moved to Ypres to refit and re-equip.
    Unfortunately, just as the regiment was ready to take on the new Comets, it got a call on December 20th to move to Brussels with the remaining 17-pounder Shermans and four Stuarts to collect Shermans at the 2nd Army Reinforcement Group the next day. The 29th Armoured Brigade was sent to the bridges over the Meuse in reaction to the German Ardennes offensive with ‘C’ Squadron at Givet followed by ‘A’, and ‘B’ in reserve. The RHQ was located at Agimont. The regiment crossed to Beauraing on the 25th and remained for four days before returning across the Meuse for the next three days. It continued to operate in the area until January 10th, 1945. It concentrated at Tellin and Resteigne from the 10th to the 14th, beginning to move back from the 13th. By January 20th, the regiment had returned to Ypres after handing over its Shermans at Brussels. The first Comets began to arrive and it was complete by March 14th, when the regiment left Ypres for the final battles.
    The 23rd moved through Veerle, Vorst, Petit Vorst, and Schout north of Diest. It moved forward on March 28th and crossed the German frontier at Venlo on tank transporters before crossing the Rhine. It concentrated with ‘H’ Company 8th Rifle Brigade near Brunen and then advanced in the reserve to Geschan, where it took over the lead on March 30th. It reached the Dortmund-Ems Canal on March 31st and crossed it on April 1st. It was then engaged at Tecklenburg. On the 5th it lead the division to Weser. It attacked Stolzenau then crossed the Weser through Luccum, Petiburg and Schneeren. It took Steimbke on April 9th and then crosser the Aller at Mandershoh on the 14th toward Winsen. The 23rd attacked Barum on the 17th then advanced toward Lunenburg the next day. It reached the Elbe and remained there for the next ten day. By May 2nd, it crossed the Elbe and moved along the Lunenberg Autobahn. While at Niendorf and Struckdorf on the 4th, it heard about the surrender of Germany.
    The regiment then moved to Husum with ‘A’ Squadron at Hockersbull. It remained there through October 1945. On January 3rd, 1946 the regiment was broken up and Kreis, Husum was handed over to the Royal Scots Greys.
  5. Len Deans

    Len Deans Junior Member

    Hi, thankyou to all who have offered support and welcome! I have been on holiday since the 24th June just returning yesterday hence why I have not been on line until today.I would offer a special thanks to Paul Reed,grimmy and dryan67 for all the information they have taken the time to post it all helps build a more detailed background. Regards Len
  6. Len Deans

    Len Deans Junior Member

    Hi Robert, just had time to look at the CWGC site, thankyou for the info it is good to see it on the internet. Regards Len
  7. grimmy

    grimmy Guest


    You may also be interested in the following film footage taken on August 2nd:

    PRODUCTION DATE: 2/8/1944
    PRODUCTION COMPANY: Army Film and Photographic Unit
    The 23rd Hussars' tanks and the 8th Rifle Brigade's motorised infantry pass through Beaulieu and Presles as they advance on 29th Armoured Brigade's left flank to Chênedollé on the Bas-Perrier ridge. From Hill 218 overlooking Presles a 29th Armoured Brigade tank commander scans the countryside on the armoured column's right flank during a halt in the advance. Carriers from the 8th Battalion the Rifle Brigade crawl down the steep slope into Presles, which is overlooked by the Bas-Perrier ridge. A Rifle Brigade half-track takes a tight corner as it enters the village. The 23rd Hussars pause before making the final leg of the advance to Chenedolle. An M10 17-pounder from the 75th Anti-Tank Regiment RA raises dust as it rumbles up the Bas-Perrier ridge. Tanks and support vehicles of the 3rd RTR are seen earlier in the day parked in reserve along the N177 Caen-Vire highway between St Charles de Percy and the crossroads at Beaulieu. Three 23rd Hussars tanks file over the crossroads on their way to Le Desert. The regiment's 'A' squadron races along a country road between Le Desert and Presles. An M10 "Achilles" and two Rifle Brigade carriers join the advance through bocage country.

    Remarks: Good, clear shots of AFVs moving at speed along dusty lanes. This footage is a good visual record of the 'bocage' country.

    PRODUCTION DATE: 2/8/1944
    PRODUCTION COMPANY: Army Film and Photographic Unit
    Self-propelled guns, half-tracks and other soft-skinned transport belonging to units serving with the 29th Armoured Brigade Group gather in the cross-roads village of St Charles de Percy, situated astride the N177 Caen-Vie highway. A long procession of vehicles from the 11th Armoured Division, including universal carriers from the 2nd Independent Machine Gun Company, the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, and field guns and tractors of the 151st Field (Ayrshire Yeomanry) Regiment RA, makes laborious progress through the Souleuvre valley soon after crossing 'Dickie's Bridge'. Parked all the way along the N177 highway between Beaulieu crossroads and St Charles de Percy, Sherman tanks of the 3rd RTR and half-track ambulances await their turn to go into action. The remains of two 9th SS Panzer Division SdKfz 250/9 half-track recce cars burn themselves out after their destruction by the 23rd Hussar's 'B' squadron, during the advance towards Chenedolle. 'A' Squadron Shermans, accompanied by a regimental command half-track, raise dust as they race along a road running parallel to the route taken by the rest of the 23rd Hussars to the Bas-Perrier ridge.

    Remarks: Good 'action' footage in which the closed, restricting character of the countryside and the problems it imposed upon both the rapid deployment of mechanised armies and their successful, unhindered advance are immediately apparent.

    These films are available for viewing at The Imperial War Museum (by prior appointment).
  8. Len Deans

    Len Deans Junior Member

    Many thanks for the info on the films,I hope I might get the chance to see them some time. Regards Len
  9. Ravrick

    Ravrick Senior Member

    Hi Gimmy,I am trying to find out what happened to the 23rd hussars on the 13/14th April 1945 near Winsen, apparently they lost a couple of tanks due to Hitler Youth with Panzerfausts and were later engaged by 88's? Could you possibly have a look in your book for me?
  10. grimmy

    grimmy Guest

    Hi Rick,

    Be glad to. Might take a couple of days as I'm only online at work - and the book's at home. Somebody might beat me to it in the meantime.

    I'll be back!
  11. grimmy

    grimmy Guest


    Here are the relevant passages; any comments [in brackets] are my own:

    The situation facing the Division at the moment was an awkward one, for we were at the confluence of two rivers, the Leine and the Aller. If we captured the Norddrebber bridge, only one mile beyond it, we would have to capture another bridge over the Aller. Naturally, the enemy knew this to be a danger point and, helped by thickly wooded country, he was determined to make this his next stop line. On our south the Sixth Airborne had temporarily dropped out, to be replaced by the Fifteenth Scottish, who were now endeavouring to force the Leine. On our northern flank, the Seventh Armoured had not yet drawn level with us, and before them had a stiff fight to force the crossing of the Aller.

    The next three days were very boring, but while we chafed at having to sit still for so long, 159th Brigade made a crossing at Mandersloh. On the 13th [April], we crossed behind the Third Tanks, and harboured quietly between the two rivers, though the Third Tanks were now across the Aller, having a very unpleasant day with Tigers and 105-millimetre anti-aircraft guns, which proved to be most effective anti-tank guns as well. Early on April 14th we, too, crossed the Aller, and followed the 15/19th Hussars towards Winsen, which they did not capture until evening, and which was a hard nut to crack.

    [passage omitted]

    At any rate, the Aller had to be forced, the woods cleared and Winsen taken. 'B' [Squadron, 23H] and 'F' [Company, 8th Rifle Brigade] were again in the lead on the morning of the 15th and meeting scattered opposition and mines, they reached the first notice proclaiming a typhus-infected area.

    They were approaching Belsen.

    I've spoken with my Dad ('C' Squadron) and, although he remembers reaching Belsen, he cannot remember anything about Winsen. Perhaps the 15/19th Hussars' history might answer your question.
  12. MPILOT

    MPILOT Junior Member

  13. singeager

    singeager Senior Member


    excelent link to the 'Story of the twenty third Hussars 1940-46'

  14. BrianM59

    BrianM59 Senior Member

    Ian Daglish 'Operation Bluecoat' pub. Pen&Sword is easily available and has pages on the actions of the 23 Hussars/8 Rifle Brigade group at the time you are talking about. I'm interested as my dad was there at the time, in 77 Assault Sqdn, Armoured Royal Engineers, supporting 8 Rifle Brigade. Their war diary says; "1 Troop assaulting with 8RB approach to Presles/Vire-Vassy road. Sgt Kilvert, Spr Hand, Spr Stuart, Spr Mason wounded, Spr Hand died of wounds later. Kilvert's tank knocked out and Spr Mason likely to die ALL Avre's damaged by HE." My dad was in reserve with 3 Troop and later took part in the assault on Estry which cost the squadron seven missing presumed dead and 11 wounded - and several tanks also.
  15. BrianM59

    BrianM59 Senior Member

    Where's my manners? Welcome to the forum Len, I joined last year and people on here are so knowledgeable and helpful, it's been brilliant. I just wish I had time to do more research and get on here more often. I hope you find what you're looking for.
  16. scott ling

    scott ling Junior Member

    hi reading your post my great uncle died on the 2nd of august 1944 which is when you said your uncle was injured. he was in the same regiment the 23rd hussars but im not sure what squadron he was in his name was frank green wood this is a stab in the dark but is there anything you have that has this name mentioned in this i know he has a headstone in the bayeux war grave as i visited it in a school trip.
  17. CL1

    CL1 116th LAA and 92nd (Loyals) LAA,Royal Artillery

    hello Scott
    is this your Great Uncle


    7948795, 23rd Hussars., Royal Armoured Corps
    who died age 20
    on 02 August 1944

    Remembered with honour
    CWGC :: Certificate

  18. scott ling

    scott ling Junior Member


    indeed that is my uncle which i worked out last night he is actually my great great uncle.
    thank you for what you put up i do have that info as i visted his grave before.

    hello Scott
    is this your Great Uncle


    7948795, 23rd Hussars., Royal Armoured Corps
    who died age 20
    on 02 August 1944

    Remembered with honour
    CWGC :: Certificate

    stolpi likes this.
  19. stolpi

    stolpi Well-Known Member

  20. scott ling

    scott ling Junior Member

    Scott - I just did send you the relevant chapters of the 11th Armoured History per email. Hope these pages are of help to your research.

    thanks alot for your help

Share This Page